A Pantsuit to Jumpsuit Refashion

Do you remember the Refashioners 2017 Suits You challenge from 3 years ago?  That’s how long ago I started this pantsuit to jumpsuit refashion.  Hell-bent on participating in this competition, I started this thrift flip with lots of enthusiasm.  After a few days, the project got tedious, and I threw it aside, discouraged and defeated.  When I unearthed this UFO (Un-Finished Object) last week, I was bummed to see how close I was to finishing this stupid jumpsuit.  All I had to do was finish the armholes and buttons.  I tend to give up too easily on myself.  It’s a recurring theme in my life.

Here’s the before picture.  Yes, I know it’s a completely different color from the after photo.  This sueded silk suit changes color in a different light.  It also sucks up all the light, making it hard to capture the texture of the fabric.  I was so disappointed with my amateur photography I almost didn’t post this thrift flip project.

In this post, I’ll go over step by step how I made this pantsuit to jumpsuit refashion.  It’s not terribly hard, but some parts are annoyingly tedious.

Step 1:  Chop the jacket

Cut off the sleeves and lower part of the jacket.  I’ll use these pieces later to make the waistband.  I made the bodice a little longer than usual to add vertical ease to allow for movements like bending over and squatting.

Step 2:  Remove the waistband

Chop off the waistband.

Step 3:   Draft pattern for a wider waistband

I cut apart the waistband, traced around the pieces and added 1/2 inch + seam allowance.

Step 4:  Cut out the new waistband from the leftover jacket

Sorry, I don’t have a picture of this.  I cut out each piece twice – once for the front of the waistband and once for the back.  Interface the front pieces.

Step 5:   Sew the waistband together

Sorry, this is another picture I’m missing.  Use your imagination.

Step 6:  Sew the bottom and jacket to the new waistband

It really sucks that I don’t have pictures of this step because this is where everything comes together, so I’ll just show a closeup of the finished waist.  First, I sewed the pants to the bottom of the waistband.  For the bodice, I used gathers instead of waist darts to make the jacket fit the waist.  Then I attached the bodice to the top of the waistband.

Step 7:  Finish the back of the waistband

This is where I lost my sewjo, because I had to hand stitch the back of the waistband.  I don’t mind a little bit of hand stitching, but this task was a killjoy.

Step 8:  Finish the armhole

See picture from Step 7.  I ran out of the silk fabric, so I used black lining to finish the armhole.  Be sure to interface the armhole facing.

Step 9:  Replace buttons with covered buttons

I planned on using the original buttons but accidentally lost them early in the project. I tried finding replacements at the fabric store but nothing matched. So I made covered buttons with scraps, which I prefer over the plastic buttons. It has a modern, cleaner look to it.

Here’s a view of the front . . .

And here’s a view of the back . . .

Final thoughts on this pantsuit to jumpsuit refashion

I have mixed feelings about this jumpsuit. I love the finished garment, but I hated making it. Most of the time, I prefer to refashion with sewing patterns as everything is pre-planned and all the steps are spelled out. On this project, I was making it up as I was going along, which makes me nervous. It’s still a worthwhile project as I learned how to bring the top and bottom together at the waist. Next time I do this, I’ll know what to expect.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin
There are 4 comments for this article
  1. Sabrina at 11:02 am

    Wow what a great transformation and it fits beautifully. Give a little time and you will forget the pain, and enjoy the results of your hard work.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *